Monday, March 12, 2007

Last Friday night was a wonderful experience. I needed something, even if it dealt with emotions again. My son (who turns 13 next week) had his first gig. He plays bass guitar. It was his school's talent show. Sound familar? I think for many of us our first gig was a school talent show. For me it was The Cars "Let's Go", followed by Cheap Trick's "My Baby Loves To Rock" at drummer and friend Ivan's Junior High School. We were bad, and it was glorious. I'll never ever forget that first gig. I felt empowered. Anyway, 4 days till the gig he comes home bummed that the singer and drummer bailed. I called the guy running the show. I told him my son would still do the gig only my old friend (and original Groovy Cool band mate) Nino Perkola would be on drums, and I would be singing. The guy said no problem. So there I found myself Friday night jamming to "Wild Thing" with my kid to my left rockin' the bass. It was neat. I didn't feel old, I felt close and proud. I hope he can get out of that Fender bass what I've gotten out of my Telecaster: pure enjoyment. Passing the torch can be sweet especially when the torch bearer ain't done burnin' his torch just yet. Rock on Ryno! Take care. Later,
Butch