Thursday, April 13, 2006

Songwriting, for me, is a very personal thing. I never try to write a song. The songs just show up unannounced. When I least expect it, an idea will start formulating in my brain. It might be a theme, a drum part, a guitar riff, a melody, etc. If it starts to really continue to bug me, I know I'm on the verge of receiving a song. Last month I was in London. It was my last day of the trip. No gigs, a Sunday. My manager suggested we take a subway trip down to Camdentown, a bohemic area of the city. Something started to click. As we walked to the Underground station, it kept bugging me. We waited in line to buy tickets. I started humming a melody in my mind. Lyrics came from everywhere. As we got on the train, I had the first verse and the chorus. Needless to say, I was not a good conversational partner on the ride down. I was deep in thought. By the time we reached Camdentown, all I was missing was the middle 8. We went to a pub to get lunch. I asked her for paper and a pen. She went to the bathroom. I was done by the time she got back. Later that day, once I got back to my room at the hotel and pulled out my acoustic guitar, I found the chords behind the melody I'd been humming non stop thru Camdentown, lunch, the grocery store (had to bring back crisps and confectionaries to Tampa), the train ride back, and the walk to the hotel. It was all there. Hadn't existed that morning at 11, but was worn and memorized by 3. It's weird. Sometimes it's a pain if it "shows up" at 11:30 pm on a Wednesday, just as you're going to bed after a long day, but in the end, it's very rewarding. Sometimes you think it coming but you're left with shite after an hour. That sucks 'cause you thought you had something. The fish that got away. But I can't complain. When it does work itself out (like in London), it's way cool. Take care. Later, Butch