Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Happy Birthday David Letterman! The gapped toothed Indiana weatherman turned L.A. stand up turned late night TV host became an American icon to my generation, and influenced the "shtick" that is the live Butch Ryan show more than anyone else. That's right B.B., Dave is the one to blame. The idea that if the punchline doesn't get a laugh you just keep repeating it till they're laughing at you, is all pure Letterman, and in my opinion, pure genius ("I had to bend it like Beckham! Jokes, I tell them!"). Thank you David Letterman for giving me the "oump" of the "not fearing what you say on stage as long as you're personable, they'll come around and like you" attitude I arm myself with every time I go on, and happiest of happy birthday's. Screw Leno, he never even came close to you. You, Dave, are late night king. I salute you. There will never be another David Letterman. In a word, you are THE MAN (El Hombre for those currently marching... El Hombre... El Hombre! Jokes, I tell them.) Take care. Later, Butch