Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Baseball is back! There's a lot of good rock and roll baseball songs out there. John Fogerty's "Center Field", Springsteen's "Glory Days", and Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" all pay homage. Fogerty's is all baseball as metaphor ("Put me in Coach, I'm ready to play today"), Springsteen's just has the opener baseball reference ("I had a friend who was a big baseball player back in high school"), and Billy Joel makes 5 baseball references (sorry NFL fans): Joe Dimaggio, Roy Campanella, Brooklyn Dodgers, Mickey Mantle, and California baseball. I guess his upbringing was surrounded by baseball. A lot of New Yorkers his age were. The city had 3 teams at one time (Yankees, Dodgers, Giants) before the move to California in the late 50's. As big a fan as I am, I don't have any baseball references. Hmmm, something to work on. It just has to fit though. Best not to force anything or else it'll sound forced. I did mention the Cubs on the Christmas CD ("The List"), but I can't say that really counts, at least not for me. I'll wait and see if the muses have something "baseball" to offer, otherwise I'll keep waiting till they do. Maybe if the Cubbies finally win it all ... ? Take care. Later, Butch