Thursday, March 02, 2006

This morning I was listening to a song off of my Honeylove CD, "A Question of Doubt". The song is about compromise. It got me thinking. Isn't everything in life about compromising? Not giving in, but more of accepting. When you prioritize, aren't you actually compromising? Compromising usually is taken as a let down, a giving up and giving in. That, to me, is a cheap dismissal. Compromising is a very basic aspect of life. You compromise watching the last quarter of Monday Night Football so that you'll be rested in the morning, or you compromise feeling tired in the morning to watch your team play late into the night. And it builds to more complex issues. You compromise the close relationship you have with your parents when you decide to find a mate. I guess what I'm thinking is that "the compromise" is a very normal thing, a very healthy thing. By definition, it's the partial surrender of claims or demands by each side. It's making decisions. And I think, not asking whether good or bad, simply doing what you want and feel in your heart. Gut instinct. Putting up with the crappy side of something in exchange for the good side.
I'll compromise the tired feeling of an 11 hour drive in the van because I want to play Nashville. Some may not, but I will. I guess that always begs the question, "how much are you willing to compromise?" Take care. Later, Butch