Friday, February 17, 2006

The TV sitcom sensation of the 80's, "Cheers", had a theme song that many remember. The opening line, though, begs and leads me to a question this morning. The line, if you remember, is, "sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name." And while this is true, isn't it also true that sometimes you want to go where nobody knows your name. In fact, I'm going to throw the proposition out there that as we get older, isn't the thought of being able to "escape" from the everyday and all it's ruts and b.s. more welcomed than going to a place where everybody knows your name? (Of couse, this is all shot to hell like a Dick Chaney hunting trip by the word "sometimes", as opposed to "all the time".) Maybe I'm becoming more and more antisocial? I don't know. Maybe it IS just me, but the idea of going where nobody knows your name, and therefore not expecting anything from you, demands and responsibilities out the window, is very appealing. The thought of peace and freedom, together at the same time with no cell phone calls, no place to have to be, no time schedules, would be really cool for a while. Of course, then I'd get bored, or feel like I'm not accomplishing much. But just for a little while it would be cool. I mean, going to a place where everybody knows your name all the time would get equally as old as quickly, I think. Just a thought. I guess the impotant word here is "sometimes". Take care. Later, Butch