Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Yesterday afternoon I stopped by to see my manager. We needed to discuss some business, and I needed to check out some artwork for new t-shirts that are being ordered. Anyway, over a nice cup of "afternoon" tea (my manager is British. She takes her tea very seriously), we got into a most interesting discussion concerning The Beatles and their popularity. She's from their hometown of Liverpool, so she's got a different vantage point than me. We both agreed, while the songs are really good, at times great (Lennon and McCartney were two of the greatest songwriters of our time), there are some real "simple" tunes there ("Love Me Do", "Penny Lane", etc.). Why such an incredible craze? Why such devotion? I mean, there have been songwriters who are that good as well. Why are The Beatles put so high on the pedestal? Why did they affect our culture so much? Where they at the right time and place? She felt, from a British stand point, that it was very important that they were from working class Liverpool. In the UK that meant something. As the craze picked up over there, it all led to the craze here in the States, which then took it world wide. Interesting. Same with Elvis, I interjected. We never really finished our discussion, though I'm not sure we ever really could. Perhaps we shall continue it someday over another cup of tea. Take care. Later, Butch