Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Tomorrow night I begin doing something very familar, but in a new way. Playing acoustic solo gigs is nothing new for me. I've done it many many times. Playing acoustic "original" solo gigs has only happened a few times. I'm looking forward to it. The few times I've been able to do it were very rewarding, especially from a songwriter's point of view. Your songs really get to breath and be heard. They're naked. No drums or lead riffs hangin' out with them, just the songs. Melody and chords, that's it. It's a different experience than playing with a band. Where everything seems to fly by with a band, notes and chords racing past you, acoustic solo, for me, seems to really slow down and embrace each chord. I enjoy it on a different level. I think it's the wave of my future. I think I'll be called to do more original solo gigs than I'd ever imagined. Just me, my guitar, and an ocasional harmonica. I'm figuring that with a back up band, their availability won't be that of a "band". Also, being solo allows for that solo acoustic performance to be booked. It's a new experience in an old suit, and I'm dressed and ready to go. Take care. Later, Butch