Thursday, December 15, 2005

Last night I went to the guitar store with my 11 year old son. He's got himself a Fender Mexican Jazz bass he got from his uncle. He wanted a method book for beginner bass. Pretty cool, my boy doing the music thing. I hope he does the band thing as he gets older. Even if it doesn't go any further than high school, it's a neat experience, one I'd like him to experience. When you're in a band, your relationships are unique. Sometimes they're friendships, other times working relationships, but always there is some sort of bond made. You're all out there balancing on that wire, trying not to fall. You pull for each other because you realize if one of you "falls", everybody comes off as shit. It's a great lesson in learning to work with others. I hope my boy keeps up with his bass guitar. Maybe one day I can fend off the police when the neighbors bitch about the high schoolers in the garage. After all these years, redemption: it's my house and I say yes to bad garage rock in my garage, so "f" off! My only request to them will be that they've got to cover a Westerberg tune, an old Replacements garage masterpiece. One of these days...take care. Later, Butch