Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Last night I watched a bootleg DVD of a Springsteen concert back in October of '04, just before the election. He said he was happy to be in the Sunshine State, the "scene of the crime" he said, through a tongue and cheek political laugh. Even for a bootleg, the performance captured on tape was unbelievable. The guy is so focused, so confident, so sure of his place on that stage. I know I've always been a huge fan, but I'm not the only one. There will never be another Bruce Springsteen. And remember I'm a bigger Petty fan (it's those Florida ties that bind me to TP). Petty is the man, for sure, but there's something about The Boss. And he is the boss. Not really much flash, it's all meat and potatoes with Springsteen. A guy, a guitar (maybe a harmonica), a band, and a song that needs to be sung. That's where it's at, that's the true essence of rock and roll. And that comes out loud and clear. Even if you're not a fan of his music, check out a live video and you'll see what I mean. When something is honest, it's pure. In that purity there is validity, and isn't validity that which makes something "something"? If you got something to say, say it with truth. The truth shall set you free. Yeah, we've all heard that before. Be true. Be true in everything you do. I know that's easier said than done. I know life puts us in certain situations sometimes. But in your heart, deep down where it matters, be true. Most importantly, as I said yesterday, be true to yourself. See things for what they are and go from there. Enough of Dr. Butch for today. I promise something lite and stupid (though not really funny) is on the horizon. Be patient. The clouds of self evaluation are lifting. I can feel it. Take care. Later, Butch