Friday, December 02, 2005

It's not an easy proposition, this life I've chosen and share with my bandmates. Constant roadtrips in the van, sleeping with the bass player in another hotel, being away from the family, having the day gig that becons you home which means you'll just have to head out again rather than stay out. But I do it because it's what I do, who I am. The music is in my head, it must be released, it must be played out all over the place. You got to do it justice. In the end, for me, it's the only way to feel satisfied. Everybody's got to do what they've got to do. For some, what I do is crazy. It's one thing, they might say, to be a twenty year old kid, free from responsibility, roaming the country (sometimes the world) playing music. It's another thing, they might say, to have a family, a teaching career, and quite a bit of age, and to still be roaming and playing. But then again, they don't hear in their heads what I hear in mine. They've never experienced the rush. And if they have, it just doesn't hit them the same. And that's ok. Everybody's got to do what they've got to do. Jay's burned out, ready to move on with life, enjoy the growth of his son, and forget the miles and miles in the van. I'm going to miss him, but I understand. He has to do what he feels in his heart. Like I said, it's not easy. Come Monday, this blog will reveal what lies ahead for me, the band, and my music. That's life, constant changes. Best not to fret, but try and understand and roll with the changes. I know I still hear the music in my head. I'm clear on what I must do, as is Jay. Hasta luego mi amigo. It was a blast. Take care. Later, Butch