Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Baseball and rock and roll. If you know me, you know that's where I think it's at. I could go to a ball game and play my guitar EVERY day. I really could. So today I want to discuss the New York Yankees (of which I am not a fan) and super groups. I heard yesterday the Yankees are trying to sign Nomar (former Red Sox, and most recently, Cubs, shortstop, for you non baseball readers)and turn him from a shortstop to a first baseman. If the deal goes through, the Yanks will have 3 guys (Garciaparra, Jeter, and A-Rod) who just 3 seasons ago were considered to be the best 3 shortstops in the game. They'd have all 3 but 2 would be playing out of position. Remember Asia? Emerson, Lake, and Palmer meshed with Yes. "The Heat of the Moment". That was their one hit. Remember The Honeydrippers? Robert Plant's super group. How 'bout The Traveling Wilburys? This was a super group only I could dream up: Petty, Dylan, Orbison, Harrison, and ELO's Jeff Lynne. If Bruce had been involved I'd have named them the best thing ever (and that includes sliced bread). BUT, besides the one hit, or the one good album (in The Wilburys' case), they don't amount to much. Too many indian chiefs, too many chefs, too many indian chefs...? You need role players, you need The Heartbreakers, you need The E Street Band, you need Scott Brosious at 3rd, or Kevin Millar at 1st. You need a team, or a band, not a collection. You heard it here first: the Yankees won't win The World Series. A ball TEAM wins the Series, not an All-Star team. Too many indian chefs! You need braves and scouts. You need balance... and pitching. Tom Petty playing bass is like Nomar at first. Sure he can do it, but Derek Lee is a real first baseman, Geddy Lee is a real bass player, as is Will Lee, and Carlos Lee has played first on occasion, but Tommy Lee is a drummer, Robert E. Lee a general, Tommy Lee Jones an actor and college roommate of Al Gore's, and David Lee Roth a New York City paramedic (seroiusly, check it out). What does all that mean (besides that I was able to name people with the name Lee)? I don't know, all I know is that the FEW times I had to fill in on bass to help out a buddy's band in need, I was crap! Take care. Later, Butch