Tuesday, December 06, 2005

As the holiday season covers us like a Maui wave, my thoughts turn to questions of why this time of year brings out certain emotions in us. Why do we make resolutions? OK, 'cause it's the New Year and a new beginning, but why does that give us hope that we'll actually change? I guess hope does spring eternal. Also, why do we sometimes get depressed? Sure we've lost loved ones throughout the passing years, but I think it's deeper than that. I think it's the realization of the loss of innocence we've all experienced. The holidays can take us back to a time when we had little responsibility (when's the last time you were bored on a Saturday afternnon?), and were cared for and nutured in loving arms. Although I certainly realize not everyone's childhood was possibly as golden as mine, I think we still desire that feeling of freshness, when everything we experienced was new. That time of pure innocence was magic. Money may try to buy it (the reason Disney World is so crowded by adults like me), and we do escape time to time, but deep down we know it is a time lost, one that will never be ours again. And damn, that is depressing. But I think in understanding why we feel a certain way, we can help ourselves to get by a little easier. (Am I sounding like Dr. Phil? I hope not. I don't like that guy, the way he talks down to people.) Anyway, know yourself, accept yourself, and finally, love yourself. It'll go a long way. Take care. Later, Butch