Friday, November 18, 2005

You never know when something you thought was trivial will become useful. As I was getting my degree, I took a class concerning handicapped people, and the possibility of having such a student in my class one day (which I have). The class was interesting because they would put you in their place: get from one end of the campus to another specific point in a wheelchair, for example. Order food from the cafeterria wearing sound proof ear muffs, etc., etc. While I realized at the time these lessons would make me a better teacher and person, more thoughtful, understanding, and accepting, I never thought I'd use any of this stuff unless something happened to me and I, too, became handicapped. Then this morning, it hit me. Every morning I get water from the sink for my tea. I do this in the total dark. As I feel for the water spicket with my right hand, my left hand is holding the cup with my left thumb curled over the top and into the cup itself. Once I feel the water hit my thumb, I know my cup is filled up high enough. Simple. All done in total blackness. I was shown this is how the blind are taught to do things independently. It makes perfect sense. You never know. There are lessons everywhere, you just need to keep your eyes and ears open. Things will stay with you, then one day pop out and become your everyday. Amazing. It's not like I worked with the blind for some time. It was one day of class out of hundreds. It pays to pay attention. It also makes life more interesting and understandable. Take care. Later, Butch