Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Life is funny. Although it can be incredibly cruel at times, sometimes it causes things to happen so that you are reminded of what you have and can cope with all the day to day crap that in the end really doesn't mean much. This was my circumstance yesterday. Besides the busy schedule with the band (out of town road trips 2 out of the next 4 weeks), I'm dealing with the fact that I've sold my house, must be out in 8 days, and have not found a new house. Everything for three people in a 1700 square foot house and shed must be put into storage, along with a baby grand piano. The house my wife and I liked was sold to someone else. Within this moving/schedule nightmare, I received a notice from my 11 year old son's school that I should take him to the doctor, that he'd had signs of possible spine problems. I was blown away. My wife and I kept the severity of the situation from everyone. I think we both felt better not talking too much about it, hoping for the best. Not denile, but rather positive thinking. For anyone reading this who is a parent, I need not explain. For all others I only offer that once you are a parent, you would do ANYTHING for your child, ANYTHING. As I sat with him in the sterile environment of an x-ray lab, I tried to keep positve. Not knowing what the future may have for my boy's health was more than I could take. He was being his usual happy self. He's a great kid. Anyone who knows him will attest to that. I tried to keep my composure, play it off for both of us (and keep relaying info to my wife via cell phone; she was in a meeting at work). The tech called me over once the images were completed. There was my Ryno's spine, straight as Saturday night's set was long. I took in his info.
No spine problems, no curves. The relief overcame me like that sweet warmth that covers you after a hefty Crown Royal shot. In an instance my crazy schedule meant nothing, not having a new house and having to "hotel" it with the fam wasn't a big deal at all. I was as happy as my son was once I announced we were going for burgers, he and I, to laugh and goof off and enjoy what really matters, us. What a wonderful moment, what a wonderful life. Take care. Later, Butch